Greatest NFL Draft Picks of All Time
The NFL Draft never fails to create excitement and buzz among football fans. Every year, fans and experts alike predict who will be the next superstar, who will be a bust, and who will end up being the steal of the draft. Throughout the history of the NFL, there have been numerous great draft picks, but only a select few have stood the test of time and truly become legends of the game. Here are the top 5 best NFL draft picks in history.
1. Joe Montana – Drafted by the San Francisco 49ers as the 82nd overall pick in the 1979 draft, Montana went on to become one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time. He led the 49ers to 4 Super Bowl victories and was named Super Bowl MVP 3 times. A true clutch performer, Montana is one of the most revered NFL players ever.
2. Jim Brown – Drafted by the Cleveland Browns as the sixth overall pick in the 1957 draft, Brown is widely considered to be the greatest running back of all time. He led the league in rushing in eight of his nine seasons, and his 5.2 yards per carry average is the highest in NFL history. Brown was a dominant force on the field and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1971.
3. Jerry Rice – Drafted by the San Francisco 49ers as the 16th overall pick in the 1985 draft, Rice went on to become the greatest wide receiver in NFL history. He holds numerous records, including most career receptions, receiving yards, and touchdown receptions. Rice also won three Super Bowls and was named Super Bowl MVP once.
4. Lawrence Taylor – Drafted by the New York Giants as the second overall pick in the 1981 draft, Taylor revolutionized the linebacker position. He was incredibly fast, powerful, and dominant, and his ability to rush the passer and disrupt plays was unparalleled. Taylor was a 10-time Pro Bowler, won two Super Bowls, and was named the NFL Defensive Player of the Year three times.
5. Johnny Unitas – Drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers as a ninth-round pick in the 1955 draft, Unitas was released by the team and picked up by the Baltimore Colts. He went on to become one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, leading the Colts to three NFL Championships and winning three NFL MVP awards. Unitas is also known for his role in helping to popularize the forward pass in the NFL. In conclusion, these five men are the cream of the crop when it comes to NFL draft picks. Their impact on the game of football cannot be overstated, and they will forever be remembered as some of the greatest players to ever don a uniform.